New Hampshire is the top state to raise children in the nation while Louisiana is the worst based on a review website created by home security experts.
Keeping children safe is a parent’s main priority. Despite crime rates being lower overall, the 24-hour news cycle can have you feeling like trouble is waiting around every corner. The positive news is that national crime rates are lower than they were when most of us were growing up. As a matter of fact, violent crime dropped by close to 50% between ‘93 and ‘16.
But that doesn’t mean you’re not going to fret. That’s why SafeWise took a closer look at safety factors and trends before selecting this year’s safest cities to raise a kid. Due to current news about free-range parenting, Utah passed a law, we decided to factor that parenting style into our studies. We dug deep into many factors to help us detect the safest cities to raise children.
Here’s a look at some of our results:
- Wisconsin has safer cities for free-range children than any other state.
- New Jersey has ten cities on our list, which is around 20% of our top fifty.
- New Hampshire pulls ahead when we examine the top 30 safest states.
- There are only two cities in the western US on our list: Bountiful, UT, and Evanston, WY.
- Only two cities made the list two years in a row: Greenwich, CT, and Ridgefield, CT.
- Our top fifty safest cities come from just ten states. That’s just 20% of the country.
- All our safest cities are in states with snow—no beach cities apparently! (Unless it’s one of the Great Lakes.)
- Only two of the states with cities in our top thirty had over two Amber Alerts in 2017: Utah (six) and Virginia (five).